Sustainability: “Academics, operations, and outreach…conducted with careful attention to the enduring interconnectedness of social equality, the environment, the economy, and aesthetics.” UNCG Tomorrow
UNCG’s sustainability efforts are constantly growing. Here are few examples of what has already been accomplished. Check back frequently to see the University’s progress!
- All new buildings on UNCG’s growing campus must at least meet LEED-Silver certification standards. In the next three years, 10 new buildings on campus will meet these stringent standards.
- UNCG’s administration support sustainability. Sustainability is an established Core Value in the UNCG Strategic Plan.
- In June 2010 UNCG became a Charter Member of STARS — Sustainability Tracking Assessment & Rating System
- The University’s first greenhouse gas audit was completed in June 2010
- UNCG’s energy consumption has dropped 14% since 2002-2003. In order to meet state mandates, another 16% reduction is required in by 2015.
- The Arbor Day Foundation named UNCG a Tree Campus USA in 2009.
- Academic opportunities are available to students including an undergraduate major and minor in Environmental Studies. There are many other courses relevant to sustainability as well.
- UNCG has an active sustainability effort through campus including the University Committee on Sustainability, UNCGreen, EcoSpartans, Earth festivities, and the Sustainable Film Series.
- Throughout campus heating and cooling systems have been updated to provide maximum levels of efficiency.
- Efforts to main the campus grounds include organic and/or slow release fertilizers, drought resistant plants, and tractors now use bio-diesel.
- Trayless dining in the Caf